Weaving SAORI style

A beginner's weaving experience with the SAORI weaving loom.

Weaving with Cotton String

I've been having a lot of fun lately with plain old string. In the past, I had used string for the warp so I decided to try using it as the weft also. I dyed the cotton threads and then spot dyed the string with the leftover dyes. When I used the string in combination with other cotton weft threads, I got a nice surprise...the string shrank more than the commercial cotton thread which created a ripple effect....I call it 'Almost Seersucker.' 

My next project with string was this sweet top in pastel colors. In this case, the warp is the hand dyed cotton and the weft is the string along with some cotton thread accents. I love the drape and weight of the woven string.

So the next step of course was to use string for both the warp and weft which resulted in what I call the 'Summer Opera Coat'. To finish the neck edge I added a strap that I had woven sometime in the past and topped it off with a cool button from Korea.

The next experiment was to use all string and to hand dye it. I actually wove the fabric first and then dyed it. It worked out great but it was awkward handling the wet fabric so I probably won't do that again.

I came up with two shades of turquoise so I used the darker shade for the middle panel in the tunic dress below. The collar was made on a pin loom and then attached to the dress.

All string! I love it!

turquoisedressfront.jpg